Saturday 14 May 2016

Spider-Man (2002) Movie Review



I did promise you I’ll be back with more Marvel movies. Here I am :D

I’m back again after reviewing Captain America: Civil War, and I naturally feel like reviewing some of the older Marvel movies I grew up with. In my last review, I stated how much I loved Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, and I feel like going back to a movie series a lot of people grew up with, and for me surprisingly it wasn’t the movie I grew up with, mainly because it was made the year I was born. It was actually Spider-Man 2. However, as I follow films in the correct order, I feel like reviewing this movie first. Spider-Man, here we go!

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/spiderman-films/images/a/a7/Spider-Man_Poster_2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130416061601
(The review may contain spoilers. You’ve been warned!)

Synopsis: Based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, the film stars Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker, a high school student living in New York, who turns to crime fighting after developing spider-like super powers.

REVIEW

This is, in my opinion, one of the brightest, most colorful superhero films I’ve seen from Marvel. Almost every superhero movie after The Dark Knight has to be dark, gritty, and sad, you name it. The Amazing Spider-Man series did that, so did Fant4stic (I’m still calling it that). I just wanted to tell them that this isn’t the way. Look at Spider-Man, a movie which shines as one example. The atmosphere, the web-slinging fun while also keeping it’s true to the colors of the source material is what made Spider-Man an amazing movie.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/b642bd9b7fef00d24ccabe59dcb37ef6/tumblr_o3v9hcW8PP1rrkahjo1_500.gif
 With Sam Raimi’s heartfelt and cheerful direction of this movie, the heroic music composed by Danny Elfman, and the brilliant visual effects created by John Dykstra that still holds up 14 years later (I can calculate because the movie was made the year I was born), this movie has a lot going for. Sam Raimi was famous for being a low budget movie director (with movies like The Evil Dead that uses gruesome practical effects, I think you can see why), this movie shows clear signs of a good combination of CGI and practical action effects.
http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Tobey-Maguire-spiderman-3.jpg 
Casting choices were perfect. Not even a single misstep was made towards these actors. Tobey Maguire plays the relatable, nerdy, constantly bullied Peter Parker, and to this day is still better than this overrated representation Andrew Garfield has to give. The scenes where he explored his powers were really cool, and some of the practical effects used (when Peter climbed on the wall up the apartment building) looked incredibly real, because it is, they turned the set 90 degrees, so basically what we’re seeing is Tobey Maguire walking on the floor.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/05/dd/d0/05ddd05bd2642877753dc987424785dd.jpg
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/spiderman-films/images/c/cb/Franco_Harry_Osborn.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20121106064331A lot of the supporting cast paid off well. Kirsten Dunst plays Peter’s troubled love interest Mary Jane Watson, desperate to chase her dreams, who was in a relationship with James Franco’s Harry Osborn, who struggles between the relationship of him and his father mainly because his father Norman, played by Willem Dafoe, fancies Peter more than he does with his son.
http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2002-Spider-Man.jpg 

 Rosemary Harris and Cliff Robertson are great additions to this movie as Peter’s foster parents. Cliff Robertson’s performance was short, but very affecting to Spider-Man’s character. “With great power comes great responsibility” is one of the most memorable quote given from a supporting character in a superhero movie. His death was important because that’s what gives Peter Parker his strength, courage and legacy to fight crime and injustice in New York. Martin Sheen in TASM did a good job, but his performance did not even come close to what Cliff Robertson delivered. 

http://65.media.tumblr.com/6083fdaad6c99f4b99aabefef685d47c/tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o5_r2_250.gifPerhaps the funniest character was J. Jonah Jameson, played by J.K. Simmons. You ever have that thought of: I think he was born to play that character. Yep, that’s the case with J. J. J.! He’s this funny, eccentric, asshole with a good side in him. His vendetta for Spider-Man is equally hilarious. His greedy, bossy and rude attitude towards all his co-workers really gave this movie moments of comedic gold. So many quotable moments, and the best casting in this movie.

Some of the flaws people had with this movie is the fact that Spider-Man isn’t funny enough. Well, for me, I’m fine with him not being that funny, because you saw what happened with Andrew Garfield’s character: makes a lot of rude quips only for one scene, and in TASM2 you see him let Rhino mow all these people down while cracking jokes next to his car window. That’s why I prefer Tobey’s version, mainly because you root for this guy who makes funny and witty remarks instead of rude ones, and he only does that once or twice but not for a scene, the movie spreads the jokes out. You don’t see him as a douchebag. He’s a relatable person all-in-all, and that makes us care for the character of Spider-Man.

My personal flaws with this movie is the villain. Willem Dafoe rocked as the Green Goblin, something I respect from him, because he had that charismatic level of craziness seeping off him, and he is the perfect choice for a villain who has split personality order. He did a majority of stunt work, something I also respect, because people, out of laziness, will simply use CGI.

https://antiscribe.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/green-goblin-in-close-up.jpgHowever, as good as Willem Dafoe actually is, I don’t like the character of Green Goblin. I appreciate and respect villains who have a clear motivation instead of a big movie character that nobody cares about, and that’s what Green Goblin is to me. All he does is to take revenge on Oscorp Board Members, hospitalizing Aunt May and kidnapping Mary Jane Watson and trying to murder a cable car filled with children. With his level of craziness it’s hard to see the clear motivations of that character.

My other flaw with the Green Goblin is his suit. As far as my father is concerned, back when the movie came out (the year I was born), everyone loved the movie. Now, the internet can just bash on minor things, such as Green Goblin’s outfit and suit. And I agree, it does look a bit cheesy and it looks like something out of Power Rangers (a show I never really watch). Yes, we’re watching a movie about a teenager getting bitten by a radioactive spider, but that plot point belongs with this movie. The Power Ranger Green Goblin suit doesn’t really mix in well.

All in all, Spider-Man was a great standalone Marvel movie. Without all that Marvel Cinematic Universe that confuses the audience, Spider-Man stayed away from all that (mainly because they really haven’t thought of making a full-blown universe yet, back in 2002). The movie is bright and colorful, mixing cheesy and funny moments with dark moments (and even dark comedy). Green Goblin is not as compelling as the villain in the next movie I shall be talking about, but he’s still not that great.

Rating: FULL PRICE AWARD (5/6)

I’ll think about bringing a DC Movie Review or a Marvel movie review on my next post. I’m thinking about mixing my Superhero Genre Movies a little bit. Stay tuned.

http://i.imgur.com/uFP8a44.jpg?1

No comments: